A lot of people get confused about where to start as an affiliate marketer, and how to make money affiliate marketing, in fact, that was the very first question I asked in a popular online chat a few years back.
Having done some research, and subsequently being bombarded with a gazillion answers, all be it very informative and helpful stuff for sure, it just became overwhelming, to say the least. There are literally hundreds of ways to find and get traffic, build your sites, and choose the right products and services to promote ( these are the three main components of affiliate marketing ). On top of all that, many site building and traffic generation opportunities are somewhat expensive and a little too high tech for most newcomers.
There are many ways to get started as an affiliate that are inexpensive or free, relatively easy, and are no risk. These all stand a good chance at helping you make your first sale online and doesn’t require a college degree, or extensive technical knowledge or experience.
I recommend starting a website or blog to promote affiliate products, these sites are easy to set up, they look good, and Google tends to like blog sites and ranks them very well.
There are several affiliate marketing opportunities available, but I decided to get my start with affiliate marketing using ClickBank and JVZoo. There are others such as Commission Junction, now known as CJ Affiliate By Conversant which is just fine, but like I said I started with these two and still use them today.
Let’s have a look at some of the steps you can take that will help you start making money as an affiliate marketer.
1) Choose 10 Products You Want To Promote
- It’s a good idea to make notes on which products you think you want to promote, include their sales pages and the custom hoplinks ( if you are using ClickBank ). It’s also a good idea to save this information in a text file on you your computer.
- So, I mentioned using ClickBank and the reason for that is it’s easy to get started simply because there are thousands of unique products to promote in the ClickBank marketplace. Once you have your account setup, go to the marketplace and have a look around to find products you may have an interest in, or you think people might want to buy.
2) Start Doing Some Keyword Research
- You can start by using the Google keyword tool, or check out some of the very good keyword tools that are available. This is the one that I recommend. Click Here!
- For each product you choose, using the keyword tool you like using, enter some generic keywords related to your product. For example, if you want to promote products like keyword research tools, then type in keyword research tools, and click the Get Keyword Ideas button, again this is if you are using the Google Keyword Tool, but most other keyword tools are similar.
- Go over to the Match Type drop-down box and select Phrase Match.
- Sort the list in descending order of global search volume by clicking on the column Title.
- Compile a list of relevant keywords that are between 10,000 and 30,000 monthly searches.
- You will now have 10 lists. The Google keyword tool works well, but if you really want to do some good keyword research and really dig down deep and give your competition a run for it’s money, I recommend using some of the others that are available such as, Jaaxy.
3) Check Out The Competition
- You now want to see if the keywords you have chosen will actually rank in Google, and ultimately drive traffic to the product you want to promote. So, for each keyword identified in the step above, go to Google and type the keyword in quotes. For instance, if the keyword phrase was “best keyword research tools”, you would type “best keyword research tools” into Google.
- You will now see the search results or “SERPs” ( search engine results page ) and the word “Results” 1- 10 of about xxx over on the right-hand side. If the results number is less than say 100,000 move onto the next step, otherwise forget about that keyword. If you want to know more about doing in-depth keyword research, and really give your competition a run for their money, you might want to check this out. Click Here!
4) Choose The Keyword You Want, Now Build A Website/Blog
- Building a website or blog is recommended for a couple of reasons, it’s quite easy to build a good looking blog and do it relatively quickly, and Google ranks blogs very well.
- Generally speaking, choose the keyword phrase that has the highest search volume, and the lowest competition numbers ( other keyword research tools refer to the competition number as QSR – Quoted Search Results ) from step 3, and has the best fit for, or is something someone who is looking to buy your product might type into the search.
- Start building your website or blog. If you want to know more about building your own blog I recommend checking this out. Click Here!
- Always make sure that your blog’s address or URL contains the keyword phrase you choose in some manner. So for example, best keyword research tools, or my best keyword research tools will work well. If the domain names you are looking for a taken, then be a little creative and try and come up with a few combinations that will work just as well. Some folks will tell you that using dashes in your domain name are not always a good idea, I disagree, check out my domain that I am using right here for my website….https://home-business-unlimited.com which works extremely well.
- The end goal of your blog is to inform visitors and get them to buy from you. Provide valuable content from sales pages and perhaps your own first-hand knowledge of the product. It’s always best if you have tried the product yourself, but that just isn’t practical for most people starting out, do some extensive research on the product and get a good feel for what the product might be like, or ask the owner or developer of that product if they would be willing to give you a trial offer so you can at least get some idea about the product.
- One thing you should Never do is make stuff up about the product.
5) Try Some Link Building
- Link building is still considered one of the key aspects of good SEO ( search engine optimization ), and one of the best ways to quickly get included in search engine results for keywords you are targeting.
- Getting backlinks is a little different for each option I am going to talk about, but they are all good ideas. You need to do three things here, get a link to your site, use your keyword phrase in your description or tag, and use your keyword phrase as the “anchor text ( the actual link to your site that is clickable ). You don’t need to perfect this right away, any link is better than none at this point.
- Posting comments on blog posts is a great way to get backlinks. Places like Squidoo, Hubpages etc, are all good places to offer some content and then add a backlink to your site.
At the end of the day, keyword research is one of the most important pieces to the affiliate marketing puzzle. If for some reason, and I definitely fall into this category 🙁 you have trouble finding the right keyword phrases, just keep trying. It takes patience sometimes, but if you keep at it and find the right keywords, the results will be well worth the effort.
Now, I chose to use ClickBank And JVZoo for this post, but I want to let you know that even though they both offer quality products to promote, there are also some low-quality products as well. You will need to spend some time weeding out the bad ones, and that isn’t always that easy. Spend some time doing research, check out online reviews about the products you want to promote, try and get your hands on the product and get a good feel for the product, good or bad.
I have had good success promoting products from these two affiliate marketplaces, but there are many more that offer great opportunities to promote their products and eventually start making your first sales online.